[Wannier] electric polarization of a single molecule

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Sun Jun 10 13:00:48 CEST 2012

Hi Pedro,

the discussion you quote was for a solid, where polarization is always
meant as a polarization difference between two phases.

No need for such subtlety in a molecule - once you have relaxed it to
its equilibirum configuration, you can calculate its dipole by summing
the electrical and the ionic dipole.

The electrical dipole is given by the sum of the WF centers, and the
ionic dipole by the ion charges (for water using pseudopotentials, the
hydrogens are +1, and the oxygens +6).

Note that the WF centers are defined modulo a lattice vector, so make
sure that you bring them all back, if needed, to the same unit cell.

Last - note that this is a somewhat inefficient way to calculate
dipoles in isolated systems - the WF centers are calculates using the
reciprocal space version of the position operator (using derivatives in
k-space), and so they require larger supercells or k-point meshes
even for isolated systems - not to converge better the electronic
structure, but to converge better the position operator.

It would be more accurate to calculate the dipole in real space,
just by intergrating r times the charge density (of course, you can't
do that in a solid).

		nicola