[Wannier] working in IBZ only

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 6 14:33:07 CEST 2010

Dear Julien,

first of all, let's consider the orbital-independent case.

It doesn't, sadly, without some modifications of the code. I think these
shouldn't
be really difficult, but I suspect they would belong more to pwscf
rather than
Wannier (hence the crosspost) - i.e. one could have in pwscf an option
that for the nscf step
calculates the u_nk at the k-points in the IBZ, and outside that they
are generated
by symmetry operations rather than diagonalization.

A shortcut that you might be able to implement yourself in pw2wannier
(unless
it's already there) is that you could only calculate in pw nscf the u_nk
on half the BZ,
and then reconstruct the u_nk in the other half.

For the orbital-dependent case, everything breaks down in the most general
case (you have a different Hamiltonian for every orbital). But I suppose
that if you
have Hartree-Fock, or a mix of Hartree-Fock and GGA, you would still be ok
in principle (Hartree-Fock codes, like Crystal, do exploit symmetry),
but I'm not
really sure on how complex that is to implement in the pw exx part (that
I do not
know).

             nicola