[Wannier] pseudopotential

Jonathan Yates jonathan.yates at materials.ox.ac.uk
Sun Aug 2 19:22:13 CEST 2009

On 1 Aug 2009, at 10:30, zahra torbatian wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We would want to calculate a quantity for Iron . In our study we
> need its norm - conserving pseudopotentials (PBE) which include spin
> - orbit effects but unfortunatly we couldn't find that . We would
> appreciate if somebody send it to us.

Zahra,

  As you don't tell us what you need to the pseudopotential for, it is
hard to give a good answer. However, making a guess, I'd say that
you're trying to reproduce some of the work we did in the last few
years in connection with wannier functions / interpolation for bcc
iron. In this case you can find the corresponding pseudopotential in
the wannier90 v1.1 distribution as ./pseudo/Fe.jry.pbe.UPF - this is
used in connection with example09.

[note that example09 is an scalar-relativistic calculation on bcc
iron. However, the pseudopotential does include the spin-orbit
splitting - if pwscf is set to do a calculation without spin-orbit,
and one of the pseudopotentials includes spin-orbit, then pwscf will
simply take the appropriate j-average]

Please note that this is not a well tested pseudopotential. It was
created specifically to reproduce the all-electron (LAPW)
bandstructure of bcc iron. The fermi surface has some fine features
which required a very hard pseudopotential to reproduce (specifically
the cut-off radius for the d channel is very small) - so it needs a
large planewave cut-off. I have no idea how transferable this
pseudopotential is. As an example: this pseudopotential puts the 3s
and 3p states in the core but for accurate results on organic iron
complexes you may well need these states as valence.

Yours
  Jonathan

--
Department of Materials, University of Oxford, Parks Road, Oxford, OX1
3PH, UK