[Wannier] Question about searcg_shell: cell too long?

Jonathan Yates jry20 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 14 12:21:23 CEST 2008

On 13 Jun 2008, at 23:14, Han Hsu wrote:

> I am trying to calculate MLWFs of LaCoO3. When using wannier90.x -
> pp to get
> nnkp file, an error occur:
>
> Unable to satisfy B1 with any of the first  12 shells
>  Your cell might be very long, or you may have an irregular MP grid
>  Try increasing the parameter search_shells in the win file
> (default=12)
>
> So I increase the number of shells. Same thing happened for
> search_shells =
> 13, ... 196. Then, when I set search_shells = 197, suddenly thousands
> nearest neighbors are found, and I got following error message
>
> kmesh_get: something wrong, found too many nearest neighbours

Han,

  This is subtle problem, and unfortunately the error message is
misleading.

The first two kpoint shells are actually sufficient to satisfy the so-
called B1 condition. However, there is not enough precision in the
specified lattice vectors, and so we don't quite hit the target
accuracy for solving B1. I realise that specifying more sig. fig. in
the lattice vectors is tough - but a perfectly reasonable solution is
to lower the B1 tolerance: set
  kmesh_tol=0.00001 (this is 10x > than the default)
  and it'll work (no need to alter search_shells from the default 12)
Note that lowering this tolerance will has no effect on the accuracy
of the wannier functions.

Thanks for pointing this out. In the future we should do two things:

1- Make a script to automatically create w90 input from pwscf inputs
- and hence always include enough sig. figs.

2- The kmesh routine could be smarter; detect when we have only just
failed to satisfy B1 and offer a more helpful error message.

  Yours
    Jonathan

--
Dr Jonathan Yates         |    Theory of Condensed Matter Group
Corpus Christi College    |    Cavendish Laboratory