[Wannier] *.mmn file format

Arash Mostofi a.mostofi at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 21 02:38:31 CEST 2008

Dear Carlos

Let's say that a particular line in the nnkpts block of seedname.nnkp
looks like

5  9  1  -1  0

The first integer tells us that we are considering kpoint number 5 in
the list of kpoints given in the input file. Let's denote it by vector
k. The second integer means that kpoint number 9 in the list of kpoints
is a periodic image of the vector k+b. Note that the kpoint specified in
the second column will always be in the first Brillouin zone, which is
why the next three integers are there. They tell you which periodic
image of the reciprocal cell the k+b that you actually want is in. In
this example we have

(k+b)_actual = (k+b)_1BZ + 1*B_1 + (-1)*B_2 + 0*B_3

where (k+b)_1BZ is kpoint number 9 in the list of kpoints, and B_i are
the reciprocal lattice vectors. Given that you know k and can work out
(k+b)_actual as above, then calculating the b-vector itself is not so
difficult. Alternatively, if you look into the source code, the array
called "bk" directly contains the b_vectors for each k-point.

Hope that helps

Arash

: Dr. Arash A. Mostofi           :: a.mostofi at imperial.ac.uk :
: Lecturer and RCUK Fellow       ::                          :
: Depts. of Materials & Physics  ::                          :
: Imperial College London        :: T  +44 (0)207 594 6753   :
: London SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom :: F  +44 (0)207 594 6757   :
:------- http://www.cmth.ph.ic.ac.uk/people/a.mostofi -------: