[Wannier] example8

Jonathan Yates jry20 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Apr 26 18:59:46 CEST 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, nafise rezaei wrote:

> I ran example8, but I wanted to consider that generated MLWF's are real or not.

Nafise,

  Sorry for the delay in replying (busy week..)

  It sounds like you are doing exactly the right steps. Indeed when I
reproduce the calculation for iron I find wannier90 tells me the down MLWF
are not real.
  Of course they should be real, so this is a coding bug.

I believe the error lies in pw2wannier90: it is writing the up spin u_nk
in the files UNK00n.2 (when it should write the down spin u_nk). This
explains why you get good spreads and interpolated band-structure, but the
MLWF appear complex.

  with default pw2wannier90
      Wannier Function Num:    1       Maximum Im/Re Ratio =   19.686868
      Wannier Function Num:    4       Maximum Im/Re Ratio =   23.219154

line#1519 of pw2wannier90 reads
  call davcio (evc, nwordwfc, iunwfc, ikevc, -1 )
change this to
  call davcio (evc, nwordwfc, iunwfc, ik, -1 )

  and we get

      Wannier Function Num:    1       Maximum Im/Re Ratio =    0.000005
      Wannier Function Num:    4       Maximum Im/Re Ratio =    0.000005

  as expected.
We'll update the version of pw2wannier90 at www.wannier.org as soon as
possible.

  Thanks for spotting this

  Yours
   Jonathan

btw. I'm going to take this opportunity to reproduce a quote from this
month's Physics Today: Phillip Anderson has a article on bonding

  "There is a way within band theory of understanding the locality of most
chemistry using Gregor Wannier's wonderful transformation from band
wavefunctions to atomic-like ones, but this wasn't really understood until
the late 1960's, and is still little used by band theorists and quantum
chemists"
  [of course the last part is not so true these days!]

--
Dr Jonathan Yates         |    Theory of Condensed Matter Group
Corpus Christi College    |    Cavendish Laboratory