[Wannier] Nonorthogonal wannier function

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 2 19:43:33 CET 2007

Dear Claudio,

the current Wannier90 code deals only with orthogonal wavefunctions.

Non-orthogonal WFs have been recently used in linear-scaling
quantum Monte Carlo approaches - both Andrew Williamson (Williamson
and Reboredo) and Dario Alfe' have developed some heuristic approaches
based on projections (a maximal localization strategy on non-orthogonal
WFs is somehow ill-conditioned: if you take a rare gas atom, the
orthogonal MLWFs are 4 sp3 hybrids, but the non-orthogonal MLWFs would
probably be 4 identical s orbitals, each with an infinitesimal amount
of sp3 thrown in, to preserve linear independence).

Paolo Umari has coded the Williamson (or Alfe') algorithm as part of his
GW work, in a Gamma sampling implementation only - so I'm CC'ing him.

The plan on our side is to insert by the summer the orthogonal
Gamma-specific routines of localization and disentanglement into the
Wannier code (these have been written by Manu Sharma and Young-Su Lee).

Having a non-orthogonal option would also be great - and if you were
interested or involved, it would also be great to coordinate.

				nicola