[Wannier] parameter to control convergence

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 23 22:52:58 CEST 2006

Dear Tadashi,

a couple of comments following Jonathan reply:

1) if chemical intuition is what you are after, you might want to
consider also the electronic localization function of Savin
and others (Nature ca. 1994). That covers insulators and metals.

2) banana bonds were one of the things chemists didn't like about
the Boys-Foster criterion of the '60s (to which our max-loc criterion
is equivalent, in molecules). One example I think I remember is
ethylene C2H4, where the double bond between the two carbons is
represented with an up-banana, and a down-banana, mixing sigma and pi.
Very unpalatable.

3) Boys-Foster localization can give un-chemical results: CO2
(linear molecule, O=C=O) has 3 MLWFs between C and each of the Os,
and one on the outside of each O. Something like .O...C...O. ,
where ... looks like a triple bond (so C would have two triple
bonds...).

Anyhow there is a vast chemical literature in the '60 and '70s
describing all of this.

4) even if the disentangled DMLWFs are not "chemical", or "physical",
they still tell you who is hybridizing with who, and so offer some
intuituion.

Best luck,

			nicola