[Wannier] parameter to control convergence

Tadashi Ogitsu ogitsu at llnl.gov
Wed Aug 23 20:24:28 CEST 2006

Dear Nicola,

Thanks for your quick reply. I'd like to develop chemical intuition
of boron crystal from Wannier functions.

As you might know, boron chemistry is very unique; as it is described
in many chemistry textbook, it does not follow conventional electron
counting rule such as Lewis dot diagram (which works very well for
carbon based systems). Typical example is B2H6 molecule, in which two
hydrogen atoms are shared by two boron atoms forming two banana like
bond (the other four hydrogen atoms seem to form the conventional
bonds with boron atoms). I noticed that the Wannier function can be
used to identify the banana bonds in boron system, e.g., the Wannier
centre of the banana bond in B2H6 molecule indeed is located in the
middle of triangle formed by two boron atoms and one hydrogen atom,
contrary to a conventional covalent picture where the Wannier centre
will be in the middle of two atoms (which could correspond to Lewis
dot diagram). I'm trying to analyze the bonding nature of beta-boron
crystal with this way and to compare with known empirical rule for
boron chemistry such as mno rule.

I'll try your suggestions that to change the num_bands and num_wann,
and let you know how it worked.

Meanwhile, I have a further question related to this issue.

Do the occupation given in the pwscf calculations used in Wannier90
code? or in Wannier90, only eigenfunctions from the pwscf output are
used and the energy window to construct the Wannier functions (or the
definition of subspace for the unitary transformation?) is determined
only by dis_*_[min|max] parameters? Thanks a lot!

#Using the occupation information does not sound making sense if I
have an energy window, which specify the subspace, but as a beginner,
I just wanted to make sure if I understand correctly.

Very best,
Tadashi