[QE-users] SOC VC-RELAX

Omar Ashour ashour at berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 31 05:49:44 CEST 2024

For many systems, it can be reasonable to perform a relaxation without SOC then use the resultant structure in subsequent calculations with SOC turned on.

The easiest way to check is to do the relaxation without SOC, then do an SCF calculation with SOC and check the pressures/forces against the NSOC case. If SOC only leads to small changes, within some problem-dependent convergence criteria, then this is a reasonable route.

I don't have experience with EPW specifically, but phonon calculations in general tend to require tighter convergence of the forces and pressure than standard electronic calculations.

Omar A. Ashour
UC Berkeley