[QE-users] PbTiO3 slab in vacuum with assume_isolated='2D'

Lucian D. Filip lucian.filip at infim.ro
Tue Jun 25 13:39:25 CEST 2024

Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you for your reply!

The slab is in the center of the cell, not centered around z=0 like it
is the requirement for the assume_isolated=esm case. Should I center it
around z=0 if the step function is added at half the cell z-length? In
my case that position is in the middle of the slab, if I understand
correctly.

Related to this, I have another question about the vaccum surrounding
the slab. I am attaching another picture where the same PTO slab (in the
same polarization state) is first surrounded by 20 Angstrom of vacuum on
each side and then by 10 Angstrom on each side. In the second case, the
Hartree potential appears to also be "corrected" inside the slab. This
is how I would expect a fully compensated ferroelectric to behave and
this is what it is obtained if compensation charges are placed at the
ends of the slab in the same manner as presented by Javier Junquera
here:
https://personales.unican.es/junqueraj/JavierJunquera_files/Metodos/Constrained-D/Exercise-constrained-D.pdf
(the method is exemplified for Siesta).

My question is: when I am choosing the vacuum region for the
assume_isolated='2D' flag, do I aim for the result in the 20 angstrom
case? What is the best practice here?

Thank you for taking the time,

Best regards,

Lucian