[QE-users] PbTiO3 slab in vacuum with assume_isolated='2D'

Lucian D. Filip lucian.filip at infim.ro
Mon Jun 24 13:09:33 CEST 2024

Hello,

I am looking at a PbTiO3 slab in vacuum. The slab is in a polarized
state and I am trying to obtain the Hartree potential with the dipole
correction applied. I have seen that the assumed_isolated = '2D' option
should do just that. However, I do not understand the result I am
getting. In the attached picture I have plotted the Hartree potential
averaged along the z axis, for the polarized state and the
centro-simmetric state with polarization zero.

The slab is 5 PTO unit cells thick and there are 20 Angstroms of vacuum
on each side. The vacuum region is well above the requirements of
assume_isolated ='2D'. Can anyone explain two things:

1) why are there two regions in vacuum looking like a staircase.

2) why is there an electric field still present?

The weird artefacts at the edges of the supercell are due to the
averaging procedure (i am still working on it, not sure where it is
coming from).

Best regards,

Lucian

--