[QE-users] Coordination numbers algorithm

anne etindele annetindele at yahoo.fr
Sat Jul 13 16:33:00 CEST 2024

Dear all

I use quantum Espresso to do structural and electronic characterization of certain nanoparticles. I did a calculation using pw.x and got coordination numbers. I would like to ask a number of questions:
1. What is the algorithm (formula) used to calculate these coordination numbers?
2. If the coordination number represents the number of bonds between a central atom and its nearest neighbors, what do the decimal coordination numbers obtained in the output mean?
3. For a scientific publication, should the decimal values ​​obtained be rounded to whole values?

I am looking foward to earing from you
Best regards

Dr Anne Justine ETINDELE, PhD
Senior Lecturer