[QE-users] relax with assume_isolated='2D'

Lucian D. Filip lucian.filip at infim.ro
Sun Jul 7 15:12:26 CEST 2024

Hello all,

I am a bit confused about the assume_isolated='2D' option. In the
documentation it is mentioned:

" - As for ESM above, only in-plane stresses make sense and one

      should usecell_dofree  <https://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/INPUT_PW.html#cell_dofree>= '2Dxy' in a*vc-relax*  calculation."

does this apply for calculation = 'relax' ?

I would like to relax a slab in the z direction while keeping x and y positions fixed. Is this something which is allowed by the assume_isolated='2D'? I have tried it and the total energy started to oscillate between two values until the nstep was reached.

Regards,

Lucian

--
Dr. Lucian Dragos Filip