[QE-users] [SPAM] Convergence problems

Pietro Davide Delugas pdelugas at sissa.it
Thu Jul 4 09:50:50 CEST 2024

Hello
a few suggestions:

  1.  The convergence issues you are experiencing may be due to your starting configuration; check that it is a sensible one.
  2.
Use a larger smearing, and if you are using an old version of qe, try to switch to gauss smearing,
  3.
 Diagonalization='cg' is very slow and inefficient; unless Davidson fails, it is better to  stick to that; otherwise

              diagonalization='rmm-davidson' or 'rmm-paro'.

        5) If you are not using a recent version of qe ( 7.2 or older ), avoid using local-TF because, in some cases, it could lead to practically infinite loops. This behaviour has been fixed in qe-7.3.
       6) Interpolating potential and wave functions is not helpful for relaxations because steps are generally longer than in dynamics.

         7) conv_thr=10^-6 is a too high threshold to obtain any reliable relaxation, it may be good for the very first steps of the relaxation but as soon as the forces become small you will need to use a lower threshold at least  > 10^-8 to make the relaxation converge.

best regards
Pietro