[QE-users] Convergence problem with hydroxide

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Wed Jan 24 12:21:02 CET 2024

Dear Jeremy
It is not a technical problem, it is a theoretical one.
negative ions in gas phase generally yield unbound excess electrons
leading to weird results when computed at the GGA level of theory. Of
course water stabilizes OH-, and also exact exchange if you use a
hybrid functional.
HTH
Giuseppe

Quoting RABONE Jeremy <jeremy.rabone at get.omp.eu>:

> Hello,
>
>   I have just started a project using QE, and have a question
> regarding a hydroxide ion in a box. When I first tried to do a
> relaxation with conv_thr = 1.0d-8, it started off like it was going
> to converge and then suddenly the convergence went all over the
> place. Changing all of the other parameters made no difference, but
> reducing
> conv_thr to 1.0d-6 stops the scf step before the problem and the
> calculation completes. There also seems to be some effect of the
> randomised starting wavefunctions even with conv_thr = 1.0d-6
> (sometimes converges, sometimes goes all triplets). When surrounding
> the ion with a water cage, the calculation works with no problems.
> If I switch to a spin polarized calculation, with conv_thr = 1.0d-8
> it seems determined to converge to a triplet state with the first
> antibonding orbital occupied, and does so with no difficulty is the
> magnetization is set to 2.
>
> I recall there were sometimes issues in DFT when the order of state
> energies changes during a calculation - is this what is happening
> here and is there a way to get passed the problem or do I just have
> to be content with a reduced threshold ?
>
> A S2- ion in a box does something similar - seemingly converging to
> triplet with a d-state occupied, and even when surrounded by a water
> cage it fails to converge in a singlet state (although in this case
> one might question the validity of the calculation).
>
> I'm using SG15 norm-conserving pseudopotentials but the PAW
> pseudopotential seems to do the same thing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremy

GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316