[QE-users] Thermodynamics with DFT+U

Timrov Iurii iurii.timrov at psi.ch
Fri Jan 19 11:26:55 CET 2024

Dear Eduardo,

> The atom indexes are relative to the atoms in the unit cell and include the neighbor atoms in the eight surrounding unit cells.

Actually, the pw.x code generates a virtual 3x3x3 supercell with your real unit cell inside of it. So in total there are 27 unit cells.

> For defect calculations, I need to use a supercell with a different shape.  How can I transfer the parameters to the supercell? I think this just needs a small code to generate
the parameter file for the supercell. I can do  it if this is not available. Is it?

Yes, unfortunately the I and J couple indices will change if you change the shape of the original real cell. The algorithm can be found in PW/src/intersite_V.f90.

You can run the HP code by setting determine_num_pert_only = .true. For DFT+U+V, it will only determine the indices of couples without running heavy linear-response calculations. So then you can use this new file with the new indices and add there the U and V values that you previously computed using a smaller cell.

  *   Another practical question. I could refine the calculations recomputing the parameters for the atoms and pairs close to the defects. How does the computation time scale? Considering that for a ten-atom unit cell, the HP calculation took 2 days with 12 cores, what can I expect for a supercell with 120 atoms?

The scaling is cubic w.r.t. the number of atoms. But you can reduce the size of the k and q meshes. So overall it will be much more expensive than for the 10-atoms cell and you would need to use a HPC cluster.

HTH

Iurii

Dr. Iurii TIMROV
Tenure-track scientist
Laboratory for Materials Simulations (LMS)
Paul Scherrer Institut (PSI)
CH-5232 Villigen, Switzerland
+41 56 310 62 14
https://www.psi.ch/en/lms/people/iurii-timrov