[QE-users] Calculating Dielectric Constant

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at cnrs.fr
Mon Jan 8 22:19:11 CET 2024

Dear Elham,

the static dielectric constant is computed by the phonon (ph.x) code in
non-metallic crystals, just by setting epsil=.true.

See for example, step 7 of example 1 therein (PHonon/examples/example01)

If you want the electronic or phononic contribution to the complex
frequency-dependent dielectric matrix, it is another story. You can do
the former with epsilon.x (PP/Doc/eps_man.pdf) and the latter with the
"anharmonic" code package that I develop (https://anharmonic.github.io/)
both calculations are way more complex and require a bit of studying.
Other methods are also available.

hth

On 08/01/2024 21:19, Elham Rezaee wrote:

> Dear Quantum ESPRESSO Users,
>
>  I am currently working on a project that requires the calculation of
> the dielectric constant of a material, and I would like to use Quantum
> ESPRESSO for this purpose.
>
> I am reaching out to the community to ask for guidance on how to
> perform these calculations within the Quantum ESPRESSO framework. If
> any of you have experience with this or can point me towards relevant
> resources or documentation, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Specifically, I am looking for:
>
>  1. Any tutorials or user guides that cover the calculation of
>     dielectric constants.
>     Tips on how to set up my input files for these calculations.
>     Any example input/output files that could aid my understanding.
>
> I am grateful for any assistance you can provide and am eager to
> contribute back to the community with my findings.
>
> Thank you for your time and help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Elham Rezaee, PhD student
> University of New Brunswick, Canada

Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
IdR @ IMPMC - CNRS UMR 7590 & Sorbonne Université
phone: +33 (0)1 442 79822 / skype: paulatz
http://www.impmc.upmc.fr/~paulatto/ - https://anharmonic.github.io/
23-24/423 B115, 4 place Jussieu 75252 Paris CX 05