[QE-users] Re :Re: Inquiry Regarding Crystal Structure Discrepancy in Quantum Espresso

houssam eddine hailouf h.hailouf at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 1 13:04:44 CET 2024

Thank you so much for your explanation.

Envoyé depuis Yahoo Mail pour Android

  Le sam., déc. 30, 2023 à 20:35, Giovanni Cantele<giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it> a écrit:   As I infer from the input you sent me, if you take atomic positions, designed to fill the unit cell of a simple tetragonal crystal and use the same to fill the sites of a body centered tetragonal lattice, you'll definitely obtain two different structures, one should worry in the case they look equal!
What you should observe is that your atomic positions are "redundant" in that if instead of replicating them on the sites of a simple tetragonal lattice you replicate a fraction of them on the sites of a body centered lattice, then the two resulting structures are the same. In this case, since the st primitive cell has twice the volume of a bct primitive cell, you should halve the positions (of course removing the ones equivalente by a translation of the bct lattice), then ibrav=7 will definitely work.BEWARE: your positions are in crystal units. That means they are expressed in units of a1,a2,a3 of the st lattice. As such, besides halving the number of atoms, you have to change also the positions of the remaining ones, if you keep crystal as units (because a1',a2',a3' of bct are different from a1,a2,a3 of st), otherwise convert them in Angstrom first.
Giovanni
--

Giovanni Cantele, PhD
CNR-SPIN