[QE-users] using ESM with boundary condition "bc1" for charged slab

Ghosh, Prasenjit pghosh at iiserpune.ac.in
Fri Feb 9 06:07:21 CET 2024

Dear all,

I am performing a calculation for a negatively charged slab using
assume_isolated = 'esm'
esm_bc = 'bc1'

Till qe-7.0 the scf calculation proceeds. However, from version 7.1 the calculation stops with the following error:
"cannot have charge, when ESM-BC1".

This is the consequence of a check by the "esm_check" subroutine. What I fail to understand is that this check is also present in qe-6.8, however, there the calculation doesn't stop.
Am I missing something?
Also why is this stopped from version 7.1. Are there any issues in the previous versions regarding the implementations of the same? I thought that this is an effective way to perform charged slab calculations.

Any help in clarifying this will be highly appreciated.

With regards,
Prasenjit