[QE-users] QE as a library

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at cnrs.fr
Wed Apr 24 08:32:36 CEST 2024

I would add to what Paolo said, that many people have sort of done it
already. Also note, that things become exponentially more difficult when
you include levels of parallelization, gpu support, etc.

Some examples:

Plumed (https://www.plumed.org/) can use QE as a library, although
because of teh rigidity of the system it tends to lag behind many
versions in compatibility

Python ASE (https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/ase/) can call the QE binary and
parse the results. Not really "like a library" but it depends what you
want to do in practive

Python QePY (https://pypi.org/project/qepy/) rewrites a few of QS
subroutines in python and uses some others like a library.

iPi (https://ipi-code.org/i-pi/getting-started.html) controls remotely a
running instance of QE.

I'm sure there are others.

cheers