[QE-users] ESM model with vacuum/metal boundary condition (bc3)

Minoru Otani otani at ccs.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Apr 23 12:47:13 CEST 2024

Dear Prasenjit Ghosh,

Please refer to Figure 1 in the original ESM paper (PRB 73, 115407 (2006)). The position of the right edge of the unit cell is z_0​, while the position of the ESM region is z_1​. Thus, the definition of esm_w is as follows: esm_w​=z_1​−z_0​

Typically, we try to keep the unit cell size (z_0​) as small as possible. However, the position of the ESM region depends on the model you want to simulate. For example, if you are modeling a parallel plate capacitor with ESM, the position of z_1​ is determined by the thickness of the vacuum region between the electrodes. Please remember that z_1​ must be greater than or equal to z_0​, so esm_w​ is either positive or zero.

Best regards,
Minoru