[QE-users] Effect of magnetic order on dynamic stability

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Tue Apr 9 14:52:48 CEST 2024

I don't think you can draw a general conclusion - a 2D material (or a 3D
one) for a given geometry will have one or a few or many or infinite
energy minima/selfconsistent states, where the global minimum and the
local minima can be non-magnetic, ferromagnetic, or antiferro or
ferrimaginetic, in primitive cells or larger supecells, or display spin
spirals.

For a given geometry, each of this magnetic orders will lead to some
small relaxations that can break symmetry or not, can be commensurate or
incommensurate; ultimately, for every magnetic pattern there will be a
supercell (maybe large, if incommensurate) in which the phonons are
positive.

Of course, DFT or DFT+U+V or hybrids are approximate, so the
computational truth of an approximate theory is different from reality,
that in itself is not always truthful.

Hope this helps!

But to get a sense of the mess in which we are in, you could check this:
https://scholar.google.ch/citations?view_op=view_citation&hl=en&user=YjHKNAUAAAAJ&cstart=20&pagesize=80&sortby=pubdate&citation_for_view=YjHKNAUAAAAJ:v_xunPV0uK0C
(in press in npj computational materials).

				nicola