[QE-users] Spin counting in hp.x with paramagnetic metals

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Tue Sep 12 12:03:10 CEST 2023

Dear Theo,

unrelated, but it's not a super good idea to describe a paramagnetic
state with a non magnetic calculation - many paramagnetic systems have
still strong local moments, that are disordered. At high pressure the
local moments can disappear (e.g. iron at the ~330GPa of the
liquid-solid boundary inside the earth), but if you are in a phase where
they exist, and you neglect them with a non-magnetic calculation, your
energetics will be very much off, and the volumes will not be right.

Better to use at the very least a simple AFM state, or even better a
special quasirandom structure to choose a pattern of up/down dipoles.

nicola