[QE-users] Missing empty state in SCF calculation

Lorenzo Sponza lorenzo.sponza at onera.fr
Sat Sep 2 09:24:47 CEST 2023

Dear everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions you gave me. Indeed Stefano's suggestion
solves the issue. If I put "startingwfc = 'random' " the diagonalization
finds the right bottom conduction even with only one empty state,
irrespectively of the algorithm used (CG or Davidson).
Instead, If I use the default startingwfc, none of the two
diagonalization methods catch the right bottom conduction and I need to
increase the number of empty states to find  it.

How Paolo said, that's not a big deal as long as I need the density, but
I was intrigued by this unexpected behaviour and I would like to
understand what's happening.

Best regards