[QE-users] In Phonon Calculation for Raman Spectra, How to decide to use how many unit cells?

ludwigboltzmann.sc10 at nycu.edu.tw ludwigboltzmann.sc10 at nycu.edu.tw
Wed Nov 15 08:45:09 CET 2023

 Dear Ramesh,
Thank you for the paper, I read part of it.

Best Regards,
HY Lu

    在 2023年11月13日 星期一 下午03:20:31 [GMT+8], Ramesh Kumar Kamadurai<rkamadur at gitam.edu> 寫道:

 Dear Professor Nicola MarzariThank you for the reply. Yes I did not mention that the supercell calculations should be done using the Phonopy package. Still I am not very clear about the difference between these two methods (DFPT and Frozen Phonon) but I could complete 128 atoms supercell phonon dispersion with minimal computational resources using Phonopy. Dear HY LuIt is hard for me to tell why certain calculations use 2x2x1 unit cells instead of 1x1x1 unit cells. I will share an article which calculated the phonon dispersion of a 1x5x1 tetragonal cell instead of a 1x1x1 cubic unicell. The reason for doing such supercell calculation is explained here. Hope this will give you an idea why such symmetry reduced supercell calculation is being carried out. (Anomalous vibrational effects in non-magnetic and magnetic Heusler alloys https://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0506774)RegardsRamesh