[QE-users] In Phonon Calculation for Raman Spectra, How to decide to use how many unit cells?

Ramesh Kumar Kamadurai rkamadur at gitam.edu
Sun Nov 12 06:12:21 CET 2023

Dear HY Lu,

When deciding on the unit cell for phonon and Raman calculations, it's
important to consider the material's properties rather than relying on
general methods. Typically, if you're exploring interactions with meV
excitations related to phonons (vibrational modes), using a supercell
calculation is necessary for more accurate results. The same applies if
you're investigating phenomena like CDW ordering or other ordering with
commensurate/incommensurate lattice periodicity.

I recommend checking literature in your specific field of research for
guidance, as examples from Quantum ESPRESSO or other material calculations
may not directly apply. The choice of the unit cell tends to be
material-specific and depends on the phenomena you're studying.

Best Regards,
Ramesh Kumar
Assistant Professor
GITAM, Vizag, India