[QE-users] increasing precision of band energies

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Sun May 7 11:37:04 CEST 2023

On 06/05/2023 14:43, agaur wrote:

> By default band energies calculated in QE are listed up to 5th decimal
> place. Is it possible to increase the precision to 8th decimal place?

just increase the format in PW/src/print_ks_energies.f90 and recompile.
Alternatively, the output xml data file (data-file-schema.xml) contains
the eigenvalues with all significant figures.

> I am trying to find some energy differences in the range of micro-eV and
> higher precision would definitely be useful.
You may want to carefully verify how "significant" the figures beyond
the first 4 or 5 are. In order to get reproducible numbers you need a
very tight scf convergence. Unlike total energy, Kohn-Sham eigenvalue
are not variational quantities. Printing more significant figures is
just the first step.

Paolo
Univ. Udine, via delle Scienze 206, 33100 Udine Italy, +39-0432-558216