[QE-users] Error in routine open_buffer (2)

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Tue May 2 12:40:41 CEST 2023

It's almost certainly a memory problem. A record lenght < 0 may signal
that the true record length is so large that it hits an integer
overflow. Notice the message:

     Estimated max dynamical RAM per process >     453.47 GB

You cannot run such a big calculation on just one MPI process

Paolo

On 5/1/23 22:35, Devin Thrush wrote:

> You don't often get email from dwt8780 at nyu.edu. Learn why this is
> important <https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
>

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I've encountered an issue in running pw.x in quantum espresso 6.8.  The
> issue is in the subroutine open_buffer. The output file is returning:
>
> Error in subroutine open_buffer (2)
> Cannot open unit
>
> As far as I can tell, the issue is appearing when the system tries to
> use open_buffer from pw/src/buffers.f90 as part of the subroutine
> wfcinit() from pw/src/wfc.f90. more specifically it is attempting to
> create a buffer with a record length less than 0 at some point. I assume
> there's something wrong with my input file but obviously I haven't been
> able to find it. Has anyone encountered this issue, and if so, did you
> fix it and how?
>
> The relevant input and output files should be attached below. The error
> message is at the end of the output file
>
> Thank you,
> Devin Thrush
> NYU Chem - Avalos Lab
>
> This is my first time posting to this forum, so I apologize in advance
> if the formatting of the post is wrong

Univ. Udine, via delle Scienze 208, 33100 Udine Italy, +39-0432-558216