[QE-users] Requesting Help With Spin Orbit Coupling Spin-Separated Bands Extraction

Luiz Gustavo Davanse da Silveira lgsilveira at fisica.ufpr.br
Mon Mar 20 21:25:19 CET 2023

Dear Pratyush Manocha,

Now I'm the one who has to apologize about a delayed response.

> Thank you for informing me about the "lsigma" keyword. While it doesn't
> solve my problem of segregating spin-up bands from spin-down ones, it
> gives me the expectation values of the total angular momentum along the
> x, y, and z axes, right?

It gives you the expectation values of the spin operator.

> I tried extracting the data for GaAs, and I noticed from the results that
> often, the expectation values are values other than 0.5, 0, and -0.5;
> does this mean that, at these points, the band has a mix of both spin-up
> and spin-down electrons?

Well, you might find sources that describe it like that, but, as I see it,
in noncollinear calculations each electronic state can have its own spin
quantization axis. Therefore, global spin-up and spin-down states may not
be a good description. Rather, depending on the complexity of your system,
at each k-point of a given band spins may be align in a particular
direction. You could, in principle, determine which direction this is and
define locally what is spin up and spin down, I don't know if it's worth
it, though. Simply put, "lsigma = 1,2,3" gives you the three orthogonal
components of the spin vector. If you take the modulus, the result should
be 0.5 (or close to it).

> Another question I had is: when you say that I can color the bands
> according to the spin values like a fatband plot, do you mean that each
> band would individually be coloured from "colour a" to "colour b" based
> on the spin values at the different k points along the chosen "k-path?"

Exactly. This form of showing the data might not be useful if bands are
degenerate. But if the bands are splitted and spin-polarized you will end
up with a graph showing something similar to spin-up and spin-down bands.

Best regards,

Luiz Gustavo Silveira
Assistant professor, Department of Physics - Federal University of Paraná
Curitiba - Brazil