[QE-users] I'm confused about how to use PBE0

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Thu Mar 2 10:46:09 CET 2023

A 4-atom unit cell of ZnO can likely run on a desktop/laptop pc using
PBE0, as long as you don't care too much about your hardware
(desktop/laptop pc are generally not happy if you stress them for
hours with codes designed mainly for workstation/HPC use). You can
still find somewhere in the internet a famous video posted many years
ago by prof. Marzari who run a 2-atom Si cell on his Nokia N-something
cell phone. :-D

Completely different is the case of a ZnO bulk supercell or even
surface slab. No way in this case, you need suitable resources.

Anyway, ZnO is a nasty beast, as you can have spurious mixing of Zn 3d
and O 2p shells. If you are mainly interested in recovering a band gap
close to the optically measured one, then you should mess with the EXX
fraction of PBE0 (or HSE), raising it to 35-40%.

HTH
Giuseppe

Quoting Battal Malika <rose-marron2008 at hotmail.fr>:

> Dear Lorenzo,
>
> Sorry it's not a laptop but a desktop computer, would it be possible
> in this case?

> Malika battal
> student - Qatar University

GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316