[QE-users] Effect of nbnd on vc-relax

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Mon Jun 5 09:39:18 CEST 2023

Dear Jing,

generally speaking, if you treat the system as a semiconductor (no
occupations keywork, no nbnd specified), the default number of bands will
be the number of electrons divided by two.
For metallic systems or systems that are treated as they were metallic
(occupations = 'smearing') the systems increases this number of bands by a
factor (if I remember well by 20%), because
this is needed in the convergence of the scf cycles when a subset ob bands
may cross the Fermi level.

So, if QE automatically sets the number of bands to 960, it means that you
have 960/1.2 = 800 KS states. It is clear that if your system is metallic
or if it has a very small gap, the scf cycle will never
(or quite hardly) converge if you set nbnd = 800 (nor the code will output
an error, that is instead issued if you set nbnd < nelec/2, for scf/relax).

Concerning the time needed to complete the calculation, this depends on a
number of factors: number of electrons (high in your case), number of
k-points (doubled for spin-polarized calculations
as yours),  starting geometry (far or close to the equilibrium one?),
number of needed plane waves (your cutoff is not that small). Moreover, it
can significantly depend on the number of processes
that you allocate on your supercomputer and on the way you use the parallel
features of QE.

So, the answers to your questions:
- And how should I determine an appropriate value of nbnd before starting
any calculation?
The easiest way (for relax/scf) is to let QE choose the default, bearing in
mind that if your system has small gaps, is metallic or is spin polarized
you need occupations = 'smearing'.

- Is this a normal timescale for a system with >100 atoms?
It can be normal, but there is not sufficient information to establish
whether or not you're efficiently exploring the parallelization features of
QE.

Giovanni

--

Giovanni Cantele, PhD