[QE-users] Missing d orbital in projected band structure of CaC6

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Tue Jul 25 10:55:22 CEST 2023

Dear Bruce,

if I'm not wrong you're using this pseudopotential:
http://pseudopotentials.quantum-espresso.org/upf_files/Ca.pbe-spn-rrkjus_psl.1.0.0.UPF

If you look inside you see that it has been generate with this valence
configuration:
    nl pn  l   occ       Rcut    Rcut US       E pseu
    3S  1  0  2.00      1.200      1.300    -3.461142
    4S  2  0  2.00      1.200      1.300    -0.276804
    3P  2  1  6.00      1.400      1.600    -2.058527
    4P  3  1  0.00      1.400      1.600    -0.103085

As such, when you try to project a band structure of a system containing
this atom, it will only be able to project on 3S, 4S, 3P and 4P states.
You may also check this by looking, inside the UPF file, for the string
PP_GIPAW_ORBITAL
After lines such that
<PP_GIPAW_ORBITAL.1 index="1" label="3S" l="0"
cutoff_radius="0.000000000000e0" ultrasoft_cutoff_radius="0.000000000000e0">
you find the radial part of the corresponding atomic wfc to be used for the
projection. Therefore, if an orbital is not included, the code does not
have access to the radial part of the wfc and will not be able to make any
projection.

Giovanni

--

Giovanni Cantele, PhD