[QE-users] How does one calculate dipole moments or access (readable) wave functions from e.g. PW?

Brian de Keijzer briandekeyzer at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 25 10:40:24 CEST 2023

Hi all,

New QE users here. I’ve used QE so far to compute band structures for crystals. I am however very much interested in calculating the dipole matrix elements for said crystals. Does QE have a module that allows one to do this? If so, how would that work?

Moreover, I have read that it is possible to use the wave functions directly. That would allow me to compute the dipole elements. Unfortunately most posts that I come across appear to be a bit dated tho. What would be the best way to access the wave functions using more recent versions of e.g. Python? I’ve come across postqe but that appears to no longer be in development nor does the installation work on my Python 3.9 distribution.

Anyhow; I’m looking to learn how to compute k-dependent transition dipole moments in QE. It would be awesome if anyone would want to provide an outline of how such a thing is to be done using the latest version of QE.

Bests,

Brian de Keijzer