[QE-users] "a" parameter in SYSTEM card

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Sun Jul 9 21:27:46 CEST 2023

Dear David,
the value of a is definitely in Angstrom (
https://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/INPUT_PW.html#idm258).
If with 12 A it works and with 6 A it does not work, this means that maybe
your unit cell with 6 A side is not able
to accommodate the atoms (this could be inferred only if you provided the
whole input).

Let me also point out that, as far as the CELL_PARAMETERS card is
concerned, you should (maybe) find in the output
(at the beginning) a message saying that it has been ignored. Indeed, if
you DO specify ibrav >0, the unit cell vectors
are chosen by the code with the parameters given in input (
https://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/INPUT_PW.html#idm224),
whereas the input from the CELL_PARAMETERS ard is allowed only with ibrav =
0.

Generally speaking, it is worth visualizing the input (using for example
XCrysDen able to directly open QE input files) before
attempting any calculation.

Giovanni

--

Giovanni Cantele, PhD