[QE-users] Memory issues using pw.x

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Fri Jan 20 19:57:18 CET 2023

Dear Joseph
First thing first, as you are using norm-conserving pseudopotentials
(and this is good for hybrid exact-exchange functionals), you don't
need to specify ecutrho that is fixed at ecutwfc*4. You should specify
ecutfock instead, ranging from ecutfock=ecutwfc (good enough for
geometry optimizations) and ecutfock=2*ecutwfc (accurate for
properties). This saves a lot of computational resources. It doesn't
matter that the GGA (i.e., non hybrid) calculation works, nor that the
first scf step is performed (the first step is a GGA one). The problem
may arise when the code makes the first attempt to calculate EXX with
the ACE algorithm.
HTH
Giuseppe