[QE-users] using Hybrid functional in QE

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Mon Jan 9 00:08:59 CET 2023

It is true, in principle you can use whatever PP and overrule the xc
functional using "input_dft". However, it is intuitively wise (and can
be confirmed doing a few simple tests in simple systems against
well-converged all-electron calculations) to use PPs generated using
an xc functional as close as possible to the hybrid functional. For
example, in the case of PBE0 you have 75% of PBE exchange and 100% of
PBE correlations, so that it is reasonable to use PBE PPs. The same
holds for B3LYP and BLYP.
HTH
Giuseppe