[QE-users] Can an increase in the basis-set increase the total energy of a system?

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Tue Feb 21 11:35:37 CET 2023

Hi,

users writing on this forum are usually requested to sign their post with
name and affiliation.

This being said, what you find can be perfectly logic.

You have to distinguish between ecutrho and ecutwfc.

The total energy is expected to have a "variational" behavior  with respect
to ecutwfc, because ecutwfc controls the size of the plane wave basis set:
the larger ecutwfc, the larger the basis set, the smaller the total energy.
At which values of ecutwfc should one stop? This can be controlled by
looking at the convergence of calculated properties (e.g. forces of energy
differences or phonon frequencies, and so on, depending on what you're
interested in).

A different logic must be applied to ecutrho. Indeed, ecutrho controls the
representation of the part of the charge density that is not expected to
change significantly during the scf cycle and that is added to the total
charge density at the end of each scf cycle. For norm-conserving
pseudopotential ecuttho=4*ecutwfc exactly reproduces the charge density,
whereas for pseudopotentials that are not norm conserving you need more
plane waves to represent the charge density localized on the atomic cores.
As such, you fix ecutrho = 6, 8, 12, .... times ecutwfc (see also here:
https://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/INPUT_PW.html#idm301). So, saying that
you find a minimum total energy with respect to ecutrho is strictly
speaking "wrong", because this parameter does not control the size of the
basis set but only the accuracy with which you represent the charge
density. So, the purpose is that of finding a value of ecutrho at which you
reach a satisfactory convergence, not the minimum energy. The total energy,
as a function of ecutrho, can either increase or decrease, because it is a
matter of numerical accuracy (good versus band representation of the charge
density), not of basis set size.

Giovanni

--

Giovanni Cantele, PhD