[QE-users] Symmetry identification difference between QE versions

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Sat Feb 11 11:23:03 CET 2023

On 11/02/2023 00:17, Shimin Zhang via users wrote:

> My question is what could be the factor to cause this arbitrary symmetry
> identification?

small numerical differences between the true symmetric coordinates and
axis and the almost symmetrical ones you have

> What is the difference between these two versions of QE in the sense of
> identifying the symmetry?

nothing important, but it is hard to say more: much may have happened in
the almost 4 years since v.6.4 was released

> What is the consequence if some symmetry operators are missed?

more k-points used

> Can I input the symmetry myself?

yes, with space groups and Wyckoff positions, but for a supercell it may
be annoying

Paolo

> Best,
> Shimin Zhang
> PhD student  in University of California, Santa Cruz

Univ. Udine, via delle Scienze 206, 33100 Udine Italy, +39-0432-558216