[QE-users] SCF convergence issue after first ionic step

Laurent Pizzagalli laurent.pizzagalli at univ-poitiers.fr
Tue Dec 19 11:08:10 CET 2023

Hi Giovanni,

thank you for your help.
Actually I already tried to start the calculations with different
smearing values, or different mixing schemes. I also tried to add small
perturbations to the ionic positions, because I initially thought that I
was caught in the a "weird" state. But with no improvements.
I do not understand the issue, because if I start the calculations with
the atomic positions obtained after the first ionic relaxation step, the
scf calculation ran fine. It seems to me that if
'pot_extrapolation=none' and 'wfc_extrpolation =none', the scf
calculation at the n+1 ionic relaxation step does not use information
from the electronic structure relaxed at ionic step n (i.e. it is
equivalent to running a scf calculation from scratch). Is somebody can
confirm this aspect (or explain to me how and why I am wrong?) ?

Best regards

Laurent

On 19/12/2023 10:29, Giovanni Cantele wrote:
> [...]
>
> Giovanni
>
> --
>
> Giovanni Cantele, PhD
> CNR-SPIN
> c/o Dipartimento di Fisica
> Universita' di Napoli "Federico II"
> Complesso Universitario M. S. Angelo - Ed. 6
> Via Cintia, I-80126, Napoli, Italy
> e-mail: giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it <mailto:giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it>
> Phone: +39 081 676910
> Skype contact: giocan74
>
> ResearcherID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-1951-2009
> Web page: https://sites.google.com/view/giovanni-cantele/home
>

> Il giorno mar 19 dic 2023 alle ore 08:49 Laurent Pizzagalli
> <laurent.pizzagalli at univ-poitiers.fr> ha scritto:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     I came across an issue I never encountered before. I performed a
>     simple
>     ionic relaxation of a W cluster. The initial scf convergence is
>     achieved, the ionic forces are calculated (and are reasonable for a
>     first ionic relaxation step) and the new atomic positions are
>     obtained.
>     The issue arises during the next scf calculation, which diverges in a
>     few steps. However, if I start a new calculation with the updated
>     ionic
>     positions as input structure, the scf calculation runs smoothly and
>     converges (but the issue occurred again for the next ionic relaxation
>     steps).
>     I obtained the same behavior with two different pw.x versions (6.7
>     and
>     7.1). I also tried to set 'pot_extrapolation = none', but with no
>     difference...
>
>     Do any of you have an idea about the origin (and solution) of this
>     issue ?
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Laurent
>
>     --
>                                                             ,,,  __,
>                                                            /'^'\  |__|
>                                                           ( o o ) |
>     --------------------------------------------------oOOO--(_)--OO|o------
>     <Laurent.Pizzagalli at univ-poitiers.fr>
>     http://laurent.pizzagalli.free.fr/           Tel +33 549 49 74 99
>     ------------------------------------------    Fax +33 549 49 66 92
>     Institut P'
>     Departement de Physique et de Mécanique des Matériaux
>     CNRS UPR 3346
>     Université de Poitiers
>     SP2MI
>     TSA 41123                                          .oooO
>     86073 Poitiers Cedex 9, FRANCE                     (   )  Oooo.
>     ----------------------------------------------------\ (----(  )-------
>                                                           \_)    ) /
>     (_/

>     The Quantum ESPRESSO community stands by the Ukrainian
>     people and expresses its concerns about the devastating
>     effects that the Russian military offensive has on their
>     country and on the free and peaceful scientific, cultural,
>     and economic cooperation amongst peoples

                                                      ( o o )  |