[QE-users] SCF convergence issue after first ionic step

Laurent Pizzagalli laurent.pizzagalli at univ-poitiers.fr
Tue Dec 19 08:49:14 CET 2023

Dear all,

I came across an issue I never encountered before. I performed a simple
ionic relaxation of a W cluster. The initial scf convergence is
achieved, the ionic forces are calculated (and are reasonable for a
first ionic relaxation step) and the new atomic positions are obtained.
The issue arises during the next scf calculation, which diverges in a
few steps. However, if I start a new calculation with the updated ionic
positions as input structure, the scf calculation runs smoothly and
converges (but the issue occurred again for the next ionic relaxation
steps).
I obtained the same behavior with two different pw.x versions (6.7 and
7.1). I also tried to set 'pot_extrapolation = none', but with no
difference...

Do any of you have an idea about the origin (and solution) of this issue ?

Thanks

Laurent

--