[QE-users] Error in piezoelectric coefficients calculation (Berry phase)

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Thu Aug 10 11:01:26 CEST 2023

On 04/08/2023 16:13, Zimmi Singh wrote:

> 1) In the nscf calculations, I added the 'nbnd' tag in the input file
> (nscf1.in). However, when examining the output file
> (nscf1.out), the polarization value was displayed as NaN

It happens only if you use many processors and many empty bands. The
reason is quite stupid: a matrix that should be 1 on the diagonal for
empty bands is instead equal to the number of processors. This does not
affect the final result but may produce floating-point overflow when
computing the determinant. It will be fixed in the next version. For the
time being, use less empty bands (they are useless anyway for Berry's
phase calculation)

Paolo
Univ. Udine, via delle Scienze 206, 33100 Udine Italy, +39-0432-558216