[QE-users] Parallelization nscf calculation

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Thu Apr 27 17:07:05 CEST 2023

1. Consider that a non-scf calculation has a computational cost of the
same order as for a comparable scf one. If your k-points grid for the
non-scf calculation contains N times more points than the scf
calculation, expect that the former takes N times more than the latter.

2. Just use "mpirun -nk XX", with XX a divisor of the total number of
processors (preferrably also a divisor of the total number of k-points),
  such that 360/XX is smaller than the maximum FFT dimension along axis
3. Don't use "-nb N" except for special cases

Paolo

On 4/27/23 15:19, Francesco Delodovici wrote:

> Dear users,
>
> I need to use wannier90 on top of quantum espresso to deal with a
> multilayer BiFeO3-LaFeO3 with 60 atoms overall.
>
> I run the scf calculation to compute the Kohn-Sham orbitals on a 6x6x4
> k-mesh,
> and then I need to refine the k-mesh to 18x18x10 with a nscf
> calculation, asking for 220 bands.
> The calculation is spin-polarized to deal with antiferromagnetism in BFO
> with
> the Hubbard corrections to the Fe d states included.
>
> I employ the following parallelization parameters over 360 processors:
> -nk 36  -nb 10
> without OMP parallelization.
>
> The problem here is that the nscf calculation does not complete within
> 24 hours,
> so I wonder: can I change the parallelization options in order to obtain
> a better scaling?
> What would be a better setting?
> I appreciate any suggestion, even though I know that parallelization
> does not perform miracles.
>
> Thank you,
> Francesco Delodovici, CentraleSupelec Paris-Saclay Université

Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222