[QE-users] Tricky questions on the fake k-points method to get bandstructure with hybrids

Lorenzo Sponza lorenzo.sponza at onera.fr
Tue Sep 13 15:52:47 CEST 2022

Hello everybody,

I know that the subject of calculating a bandstructure with hybrid
potentials has been addressed already many times in the mailing list,
but I couldn't found the answers to my questions. I'm using QE 7.0 and,
among the existing methods mentioned elsewhere, I want to rely on the so
called 'fake k-points' approach.

The procedure is globally clear to me: one first runs a SCF calculation
on a regular grid, then runs a second SCF calculation with the hybrid
potential of choice and an explicit list of k-points which includes the
irreducible k-points with their associated weight plus those in the
bandpath with a vanishing weight. The rest is basically just a matter of
post-processing the output.

1/ What exactly is the first SCF calculation needed for? Is any of its
output (density, wavefunctions, etc...) used by the subsequent hybrid
calculation, or the only useful information is the list of irreducible
k-points and their weights? In other words, if I get the correct list of
k-points (grid, paths and weights) from an external source, can I just
run directly the hybrid calculation with no preliminary step?

2/ I noticed that if I put the weight of the k-points in the bandpath
exactly equal to 0, then their energies are not consistent with the rest
of the calculation  and their occupation is vanishing for all bands (see
below the example). I have the impression that this is also the case if
one uses the 'ADDITIONAL_K_POINTS' card.  Instead, by putting a very low
weight (0.0000001), I found no error. Why this? Is setting the weight =
0.0 really the right way to proceed?

Let me give an example of this to be clearer. I calculate the
bandstructure of Si along a path passing through Gamma. Also the regular
k-point mesh contains Gamma though. So, the Gamma point appears twice in
the list of k-points specified in the hybrid calculation: once with a
finite weight in the regular grid, and once with weight = 0.0 along the
bandpath. Here below is the output of the hybrid calculation associated
to the two occurrences. Notice that the energies are different although
it is the same k-point in the same calculation, and the occupation is 0
in the second occurrence.

:: THE GRID OCCURRENCE WITH WEIGHT = 0.002 ::

k = 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 (   749 PWs)   bands (ev):

     -7.0330   5.0739   5.0739   5.0739   9.7109   9.7109   9.7109
10.6652    14.8522  14.8522

      occupation numbers

      1.0000   1.0000   1.0000   1.0000   0.0000   0.0000   0.0000
0.0000     0.0000   0.0000

:: THE PATH OCCURRENCE WITH WEIGHT = 0.000 ::

k = 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 (   749 PWs)   bands (ev):

     -4.6222   7.5761   7.5761   7.5761  10.5198  10.5198  10.5198
11.6019    15.2911  15.6844

      occupation numbers

      0.0000   0.0000   0.0000   0.0000   0.0000   0.0000   0.0000
0.0000     0.0000   0.0000

3/ In some hybrid calculations one has to set the variables nxq# > 1 to
get accurate results. In this case, prescriptions are to add the
k-points of the bandpath plus all the relevant k+q points. Where do I
find them? How can I get them? How I can I get the very q-point grid
used by the code?

Many thanks for your answers, help, tricks and suggestions.

Cheers

--
Dr. Lorenzo Sponza
Chargé de Recherche au CNRS