[QE-users] Parallelization and Input/Output of wfc in QE

KRISHNENDU MUKHERJEE krishnendu at nmlindia.org
Wed Nov 30 11:22:52 CET 2022

Dear Dr. Pietro,

Thank you for your reply. I did not have a course on Quantum Mechanics and Solid State Physics. But I am currently reading thoroughly text books on those subjects. I have another question.
In Quantum Espresso the electron is considered to be described by plane-waves. So, it does not have information regarding its belongness to any particular s,p or d orbital. However, I have seen articles with Quantum Espresso results with DOS for a particular orbital (e.g., 3d). Can you kindly let me know how DOS of a particular orbital can be obtained from the plane-wave representation of electron?

Thank you,
Best regards,
Krishnendu

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Krishnendu,

if you want to know what the grids are (those appearing in the header of
the table) check this message from Stefano de Gironcoli:

https://lists.quantum-espresso.org/pipermail/developers/2017-November/001783.html

The second keyword in that table is "sticks", which concerns with the
way the data is distributed among multiple processes in order to perform
a parallel FFT. This presentation, again by Prof. de Gironcoli, will
explain how that works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqYdu1aVi-o

With these information and the details of your input file (ecutwfc,
ecutrho and the lattice) you should be able to roughly predict the
number of G-vectors of the various grids of your plane wave expansion.
Predicting the number of sticks is slightly more complicated and, in my
opinion, it's quite pointless.

Best wishes,
Pietro

---