[QE-users] oscillations in G(V) diagrams

Lorenzo Bastonero lbastone at uni-bremen.de
Sat Nov 5 16:55:49 CET 2022

Dear Jakob,

Do you mean the Helmoltz free energy (F)?

As by definition, the Gibbs free energy (G) does not depend upon volume, but on pressure and temperature.
At p=0, then they are the same, but notice always that:

G(p,T) = min_{V}[F(V, T)+pV]

Thus, at p=0, you still need to take the minimum of F at the fixed temperature.

Moreover, I guess you are using the quasi-harmonic approximation. There exist several flavours. Unless your system is isotropic, scaling the volume isotropically can be a source of error (due to a physical assumption, not due to the numerics).

Best,
Lorenzo Bastonero

********************************
Lorenzo Bastonero

PhD Student
U Bremen Excellence Chair,
Bremen Center for Computational Materials Science,
and MAPEX Center for Materials and Processes

University of Bremen
Faculty of Production Engineering
TAB-Building, Room 3.32
Am Fallturm 1