[QE-users] Proper setup for organometalic system ....

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Mon May 23 16:45:29 CEST 2022

Dear Michal
open-shell metal complexes usually show instabilities in scf cycles.
This may be generally due to jumps between almost equivalent or
degenerate electronic states, but also to the strongly correlated
nature of d electrons weakly coupled with the ligand electronic states
(a typical Mott-Hubbard problem...!), with the delocalization error
leading to a wrong "metallic" description of the partially occupied d
band. In the former case, there is no harm in using
occupations='smearing' with a Gaussian smearing to facilitate
convergence, as long as the smearing is small enough to avoid the
spread of electrons across the HOMO-LUMO gap. You can even use
tot_magnetization to force the convergence to any sensible magnetic
configuration of the system. In the latter case, you should be almost
always able to reach the converge using a Gaussian smearing, but you
should closely check the results and maybe use some local (e.g. DFT+U)
or global (e.g. EXX functionals like B3LYP, PBE0, ...) correction to
improve the description of the system.
HTH
Giuseppe