[QE-users] QE-7.1 and DFT+U

Mahmoud Payami Shabestari mpayami at aeoi.org.ir
Wed Jun 29 15:36:43 CEST 2022

Dear Paolo,

Hi, and many thanks for the point you mentioned.

Best regards,

Mahmoud

From: Paolo Giannozzi <paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it>
To: Iurii TIMROV via users <users at lists.quantum-espresso.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 14:15:30 +0200
Subject: Re: [QE-users] QE-7.1 and DFT+U

On 6/29/22 13:44, Iurii TIMROV via users wrote:

> FeO is metallic in DFT while it is insulting in nature.

yes, the attitude of FeO that wants to be an insulator while DFT
predicts that it is not is really insulting :-)

Paolo

  The difference
> between the new and old behaviour of QE is the starting occupations of
> the Fe-3d manifold. In older versions of QE (before 7.1) the starting
> occupations are hard-coded to be 6 (see PW/src/tabd.f90) while in QE7.1
> the starting occupations are read from the pseudopotential (in this
> particular example it is 7). It turns out that in this example different
> starting occupations for Fe-3d states lead to the convergence to
> different metallic ground states of FeO, but in any case both are wrong
> ground states (one needs +U and to use starting_ns_eignevalue to open a
> gap and thus obtain the correct ground state). But if you want to
> restore the old behaviour of QE in the new version (i.e. 7.1) you need
> to specify in the input the new keyword Hubbard_occ(1,1) = 6.0 and
> Hubbard_occ(2,1) = 6.0 (because you have Fe1 and Fe2) - in this case the
> code reads the starting occupations from the input and not from the
> pseudopotential.
>

> Greetings,
>
> Iurii
>

> --
> Dr. Iurii TIMROV
> Senior Research Scientist
> Theory and Simulation of Materials (THEOS)
> Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL)
> CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
> +41 21 69 34 881
> http://people.epfl.ch/265334 <http://people.epfl.ch/265334>

Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222
The Quantum ESPRESSO community stands by the Ukrainian
people and expresses its concerns about the devastating
effects that the Russian military offensive has on their
country and on the free and peaceful scientific, cultural,
and economic cooperation amongst peoples
Quantum ESPRESSO is supported by MaX (www.max-centre.eu)