[QE-users] Polarization calculation using nscf

Lucian D. Filip lucian.filip at infim.ro
Thu Jun 23 14:50:01 CEST 2022

Dear Amar,

I am glad you found the paper useful. regarding the polarization quanta you need to look at the definition. for materials like BTO the polarization direction is along the c side (or z axis if you will) and for these materials the Pq = q * c / V. but this simplifies to q/ a^2 for this particular case. It is easy to see that if the supercell becomes 2x2x2 then Pq is exactly 4 times less than for the 1x1x1 case.

You are correct that Pq is invariant of the branch, but it is dependent of the geometry like you said in an earlier message. In the paper that was mentioned before by Paolo, there is the more general definition of Pq which applies to cases where the polarization is not along one of the crystal axes as is the case for BTO.

For an more interesting case check out the polarization of BiFeO3!

Regards,

Lucian