[QE-users] Possible problems of using "memory = 'small'"

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Tue Jun 21 13:23:40 CEST 2022

Once upon the time, the only limitation of 'memory="small"' was the
impossibility to read data produced with N processors on M processors,
if M != N (where N and M are actually "processors used for plane-wave
parallelization"). This should still hold (no warranty).

Paolo

On 6/21/22 12:40, Lenz Fiedler wrote:
> Hi users,
>
> I hope this is not a duplicate, but I am trying to work with a big cell
> and am running into memory issues. I tracked the issues (partially) down
> to ggen, and found that by setting "memory" to "small" (as suggested in
> the comments in the code) the problems disappeared, because the
> no_global_sort was now set to true.
>
> My question now is: are there any known limitations to this? Anything
> one should be careful about when using "memory = 'small'" or can I just
> use it whenever?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Lenz Fiedler, M. Sc.
> PhD Candidate | Matter under Extreme Conditions
>
> Tel.: +49 3581 37523 55
> E-Mail: l.fiedler at hzdr.de
> https://www.casus.science
>
> CASUS - Center for Advanced Systems Understanding
> Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf e.V. (HZDR)
> Untermarkt 20
> 02826 Görlitz
>
> Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt, Dr. Diana Stiller
> Vereinsregister: VR 1693 beim Amtsgericht Dresden

Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222